How do we define heavy?
For the purpose of selecting a computer chair for heavy people, we would typically define heavy as someone who weighs over 250 pounds or has body mass index greater than 30. The person’s body shape is important to consider with respect to accumulation of soft tissue and how it might affect the users center of balance and displacement within a conventional chair design. It is also important to consider factors such as ergonomics and durability when selecting a computer chair for heavy users in order to ensure that it is able to provide proper support and comfort during long periods of sitting.
Body Types that affect sitting position
An ectomorph tends to be thin, and struggles to gain weight as either body fat or muscle and has a low body mass index.
Middle of the road body shape
A mesomorphic body type is middle of the road with broader shoulders and hips and tends to be moderate body mass index.
An endomorphic body type tends to gain weight and may have a large bony structure.
How does a person carry their weight when sitting down?
When a person is standing upright and balanced, their weight is carried through their spine and supported by their feet. The presence of excess body tissue tends to place strain on the connective tissues of muscles, tendons and ligaments. Gravity may have a tendency to cause the body to assume an abnormal stature and sitting may be the more comfortable alternative. When sitting the same body mass will be supported over the now larger support surface of their buttocks but they may experience challenges accommodating to a conventional ergonomic chair design that does not consider their size and displacement of soft tissue on the sit surface. In most cases adipose tissue or fat displaces quite readily do to its composition, and the boney underlying structure is only slightly affected.
The most important consideration when considering a computer chair for a heavy person, is the size of the seat surface, the balance of the chair and the potential torsion and resistance of the gas cylinder.
With the larger presence of soft tissue there will be a need to have an increased sit surface to support as much as possible and avoid any potential pinch points.
Because this adipose tissue displaces more readily than muscle tissue, it is important to consider the size, shape and consistency of the supportive cushion
How much of your weight sits on a computer chair?
At any given time, the amount of weight that is supported by a computer chair depends on its design and construction. Generally speaking, an ergonomic chair designed for heavy people should be able to support beyond 250 pounds and even up to 400+ pounds. The frame must be sturdy enough to provide stable support, the gas cylinder should be designed and engineered to address this accelerated downward and torsional force and exceed the rather standard maximum capacity of 250 pounds, while the cushioning material should be thick enough to evenly distribute the person’s weight and the bony prominences that are allowed to penetrate through the adipose tissue.
Seated weight distribution for heavy people in normal and non-normal positions
For many heavy people, it can be difficult to find a computer chair that provides adequate support for their unique body shape and size. As such, it is important to consider all aspects of seated weight distribution when selecting an ergonomic chair for heavy people.
In a normal seated position, weight should be distributed evenly on the seat pan and backrest with extra support to promote good positioning of the lumbar region. In some cases an accumulation of soft tissue on the buttocks causes the skeletal structure of the seated overweight person to shift forward, requiring special consideration for how the pelvis and spine are optimally supported. This helps reduce pressure points and ensures good posture. It is also important to ensure there’s enough depth in the seat pan so that it does not dig into the back of the thighs, as this could cause discomfort or even pain over time. Furthermore, adjustable armrests are beneficial because they allow heavier users to tailor their seating position to fit their body type and needs.
By taking into account seated weight distribution requirements when selecting an ergonomic chair for heavy people, greater comfort and improved posture can be achieved – leading to improved focus and productivity levels throughout the workday.
What to look for in a computer chair for the significantly overweight?
Are you searching for the perfect computer chair if you are significantly overweight? Durability, comfort, and safety are all essential features to consider when shopping for a computer chair. Here are some of the key points to look out for when shopping for a computer chair designed with heavier people in mind:
1. Weight Capacity: The weight capacity of a chair is extremely important for heavier individuals, as they will require chairs that can safely support their weight without bending or breaking. Look for chairs that can comfortably fit individuals weighing more than 250 lbs. Manufacturers generally post their recommended weight capacity and special guidelines such as BIFMA serve as a guide to manufacturers to ensure safety and durability. Their guidelines generally identify a test cycle that considers a weight of 250 pounds. The limiting factor tends to be the weight capacity of the gas cylinder. Ensure that your search for a computer chair includes manufactures that site their reliance on these BIFMA guidelines.
2. Ergonomics: Ergonomic chairs provide extra comfort and spinal support, which can be particularly beneficial for those who spend extended hours sitting at a computer desk. If you are especially overweight, ensure that the manufacturer has a product specific to these size requirements and or has adjustability that will accommodate.
3. Breathability: Breathable mesh fabric or leather is ideal as it helps keep users cool throughout long hours of use, allowing air to circulate and reducing sweat buildup on the seat. Additionally, breathable material also allows more air circulation through the seat cushioning resulting in comfortable temperatures during use.
4. Sturdiness & Durability: When looking for a heavy duty computer chair, be sure to check that it has been built with sturdiness and durability in mind; this means checking for strong materials such as metal frames as well as reinforced parts like armrests and baseplates etc., so the chair won’t start failing after prolonged daily use over time.
5. Mobility & Adjustability: It’s also important to consider how adjustable the chair is; look out for features such as 360-degree swivel capabilities, height adjustability (usually between about 17-24 inches), reclining angles etc., so users can find an optimal position depending on their height or preference while working at their desk.
Where to find a computer chair for heavy people?
Finding a reliable, comfortable computer chair for heavy people can be challenging. CoreChair provides a solution to this issue by being able to adjust the center of balance and seat depth to optimize the potential user size and weight distribution. The warranty weight capacity is 250 pounds which is limited by the warranty of the gas cylinder but the remaining components of the chair are engineered to with stand much higher loads and accelerated forces. The most important consideration when purchasing a CoreChair is being able to find the balance point and CoreChair has an array of videos to assist and their highly trained customer service will assist with any additional adjustments if needed.
Why is an active sitting chair a good consideration for heavy people?
An active sitting chair like CoreChair is a good consideration for heavy people as it is designed to encourage healthy movement for joint mobility, circulation and metabolic stimulation. Traditional computer chairs for heavy persons tend to strive to support and accommodate but serve no more health benefit. An active sitting solution will work to assist in your potentially compromised health issues arising from sitting static.
What happens if you are over the weight limit for a computer chair?
If you are over the weight limit for a computer chair, it is important to find a chair that can support your weight. Most office chairs are designed to hold up to 250 pounds, but there are models available for heavier people. Look for chairs with reinforced steel components, extra heavy-duty casters, and gas lifts rated for higher weight capacities. In addition, consider getting an ergonomic chair with adjustable tilt tension and neck pillow support to make sure it fits your body properly so that you stay comfortable even after long hours of use.
Best approach to finding a computer chair for heavy persons?
To truly understand if a computer chair is going to be effective for a heavy person, is to reach out to manufacturers with good reputation and warranty and ask what their most appropriate solution will be for your size and body type. A reputable company will not try to sell you something that will reflect poorly on their reputation in the future and they will ensure that you have the right product.
Initially you have to decide if you want a computer chair that provides good support but remains static or an active sitting chair that provides good support but encourages movement.